Various Competitive Examinations
Staff Selection Commission conducts the following competitive examinations every year.
1) For candidates having qualification of only Matriculation, they are eligible to apply for the Combined Matric Level Examination. In the same examination, those who are having Stenography speed of 80 WPM can apply for Stenographer also. Combined Matric Level Examination for posts of LDCs and Stenographers is conducted in 3 stages. The preliminary examination is of objective type is conducted to shortlist candidates for next examination i.e. Main Examination and the candidates who qualify in the main examination are to appear in a typewriting test/stenographer test for final selection.
There are various examinations for graduates such as, Tax Assistant, Combined Graduate Level, Sub-Inspectors in CPOs, Section Officer(Audit). However, the graduates in Commerce, in addition to the above, can also apply for Section Officer(Commercial) examination. The graduates in Economics/Statistics/ Maths. can apply for Statistical Investigator also in addition to all the above examination except Section Officer(Commercial). The Engineering graduates are in addition to above, are eligible to appear the Junior Engineer exam. conducted by the Commission. For the candidates having degree in Hindi, are eligible apply for Junior Hindi Translators also.
The details of various examinations are as follows :
2) Combined Graduate Examination for posts of Inspector in Income Tax/Central Excise/Department of Post, Sub-Inspector in CBI, Assistant, Divisional Accountant, Auditor, Junior Accountant, UDC etc.
This examination is also conducted in 3 stages i.e. preliminary, Main and Interview for mostly group �B� non-gazetted posts. However, for posts of Auditors, UDC, Jr. Accountants, no interview is conducted and candidates are selected on the basis of their performance in the main examination.
3) Sub-Inspector in CPO (BSF, CRPF, CISF, ITBP,SSB) Examination � Only one written examination is conducted for this examination, followed by a physical, medical test and interview. There is some relaxation in height for the candidates belonging to North-Eastern Region.
4) Section Officer(Audit) & Section Officer(Commercial) Examination � These examinations also consist of only one written examination followed by a interview. The posts of Section Officers are mainly exists in Accountant General offices located all over the country.
5) Junior Engineers Examination � It consist of only one written examination followed by an interview for posts of Junior Engineers in CPWD.
6) Tax Assistant Examination � This examination is conducted for selection of candidates for posts of Tax Assistant in Central Excise/Income Tax department. It consist of a written paper followed by a skill test in computer typing.
7) Junior Hindi Translator Examination � One written test followed by an interview is the selection criteria for this post.
8) Selection Posts � In addition to the above, some specialized posts like Chemist, Computer typist, Research Assistant, Hindi Translator etc. in central government offices located in north eastern region are conducted by SSC(NER), Guwahati. For those posts, generally no written test is conducted. The short-listed candidates are selected on the basis of an interview only. For getting shortlisted for any selection post, the candidate should enclose all experience certificates/extra curricular certificates though the same are not asked for.